The Ultimate Buying Guide for In the Nursery & Around the House
You’ve got the crib, a few adorable toys and a fully stocked bookshelf…the nursery is ready, right? Not so fast! This room needs to be as functional as it is fab, so stock up on a few essentials before your bundle arrives— all sure to make the upcoming days (and of course the nights) a whole lot easier on all. You’ll need:
- Diaper caddy: Shed some light on middle-of-the-night diaper changes with this (obviously-designed-by-a-new-parent) light up diaper caddy from Skip Hop. The handle shines softly with a touch sensitive light and has a 10 minute auto-off feature. Seriously. It’s a nite-saver.
- Change pad: When you’re up in the middle of the night changing your wee one, try the amazing Peanut Changer from Keekaroo. Unlike any other changing pad, its strong outer shell makes it impermeable to fluid and limits bacteria growth and deterioration, making extra covers and pads unnecessary—saving you both money and clean up time.
- Diaper pail: You made it! You successfully cleaned and diapered you wee baby’s bottom. Now what on earth do you do with the diaper? Don’t worry, we can help with that too. The Ubbi Diaper Pail is made of powder-coated steel to achieve maximum odour control. It is also equipped with rubber seals designed to lock in odours as well as a sliding lid that minimizes air disruption, keeping the smell inside the pail.
- Nightlight: Having a bit of trouble getting that wee one back to sleep after a middle-of-the-night diaper change or feeding? Skip Hop’s Moonlight & Melodies Nightlight Soother Owl has eight gentle melodies, a dimmable night light, and an adjustable pivot lens that projects a starry nightscape onto any surface. Just choose the perfect light and sound combination for your own soon-to-be-fast-asleep owl.
- Bonding doll: Another excellent way to soothe baby back to sleep is with a bonding doll. Non-toxic and safe to chew on with no fluff to inhale, Peppa Tino bonding dolls are filled with 100% wool and absorb mom or dad’s natural scents, providing comfort to a little one. Mom or dad sleeps with the doll for a couple of nights and then it goes in baby’s crib. Voila: a happy (sleeping!) baby.
- Sleep positioner: We’ve all heard the mantra “Back to Sleep,” and it’s never more accurate than in months 0-12 when the back position is recommended as the best sleeping position for baby. The ultra soft Babymoov Cosydream, with its positioning roll, recreates a small space, reassuring babies while also ensuring a perfectly supported position on their backs. Use it until baby can turn over on his or her own (around 4-6 months).
- White noise machine: Want to create a peaceful sleep environment for baby? The Homedics SoundSpa will help them (and you!) fall asleep faster and wake better rested. With six soothing, natural sounds including white noise, this sleep machine is the perfect nursery addition. The rhythmic sounds create a feeling of comfort and help calm and lull baby into sleep.
- Playmat: Tire them out and get them exercising with an activity gym like this one from Skip Hop that features soft linen and patterned arches and includes a matching supportive tummy time pillow. Five hanging toys attach to 13 easy-to-hang loops, offering irresistible multi-sensory play for baby at every stage of development.
- Baby monitor: Can’t get enough of that adorable babe—even when they’re snoozing? Check in and see those cheeks, that nose and those gorgeous eyelashes easily and clearly on the Owlet Baby Cam Monitor that has live stream anywhere on the Owlett App! It even has two way audio so you can soothe your baby from afar!