Pamper Yourself this Valentine’s Day
Ah, February…the month of LOVE! We’ve decided to celebrate a month of loving yourself, and today’s blog is all about taking care yourself and why it is so important to pamper yourself not just in February, but all year long!
We often hear how important it is to take care of yourself, but no one does it enough. This is because we either feel guilty about it, or because we do not know how. Many of us have demanding lives that involve taking care of others and putting their needs before our own? But, after time, this selflessness—regardless of how rewarding it may be—brings us down and wears us out. In order to really serve others well and be 100% our happy, healthy selves, we must put ourselves first more often.
So what is pampering yourself?
It starts by listening to your body and growing your awareness about what it truly needs. When you listen to what your body is telling you about what you really need at that moment (it may be to simply go to the bathroom or drink a glass of water!), that is where the magic begins and your awareness grows. It is then that you do what you want without resistance. Meaning, if you want to take a 15-minute cat nap you do it, or if you want to say no to a dinner invitation because you really want to go home and have a bubble bath, you do it. No guilt attached, because it’s okay to take care of you! We give you permission.
What if I can’t afford a trip to the spa?
Many people think that pampering means having to shell out big bucks to head to the spa. While it may look like that for some people, for others it might simply be taking the time to eat breakfast every morning or fitting in 30 minutes in the evening to sit down with a favourite magazine while sipping a cup of tea. Maybe it is all of the above. The point is, you write your ‘prescription’ because you know what you need best. And self-care is all about figuring out what you need and acting on it.
How will I find the time?
One excuse people use for not taking care of themselves is that they simply do not have enough time. Pampering yourself can be as easy as slowly implementing things into your day that you love or make you feel good. Maybe listening to music and singing in the car on the way to work, or choosing your favourite healthy foods to eat each morning so you love what you are eating to start your day. Maybe it is taking a moment when things are hectic at work to simply close your eyes, take a deep breath and think of all the things you are grateful for. When you take steps to increase your self-care you will notice that everything gets done in a much easier way. This is because you are more relaxed and not resisting anything. And when you are relaxed, your mind is free to think clearly and your body feels good.
Our top 5 ways to increase your self care:
- Make a list of all the things you love and try to implement what you can each day, each week or each month. Remember, you write the prescription!
- Meditate. When we meditate we create more mind and body awareness that helps us tune into what may be bothering us, sharpens our intuition, and helps us connect with ourselves.
- Start a gratitude journal. This helps us reflect on the positive things, all the abundance in our lives, and how we are being cared for.
- Love yourself with healthy food & personal time (a bubble bath, a new exercise routine, a new yoga class, or whatever you like to do).
- Pamper yourself. If it’s in your budget, take a trip to the spa with friends or your partner. If you can’t get to the spa, try a hot and cold shower or a luxurious bath at home. We love contrast hydrotherapy for improving circulation throughout the body to help you feel rejuvenated and relaxed.
This month, pamper yourself by committing to greater self-care!