Love Child Organics is Sharing 2 Kid-Approved Recipes
Today, we’re featuring 2 recipes from Love Child Organics‘ new cookbook, It All Begins With Food. That’s their motto, a philosophy that was born of the desire to provide delicious and nutritious foods for babies and children and to encourage a lifelong love of healthy eating.
Chickpeas with Roasted Bananas and Squash
Makes approximately 2 cups | Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes
- 2 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash
- 2 bananas, peeled and cut into1/2-inch rounds
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup cooked or canned chickpeas (sodium-free and from a BPA-free can)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Cut two pieces of parchment paper that are just smaller than your baking tray. Lay one of them on the tray.
- Place the squash and bananas on the parchment. Sprinkle with the nutmeg. Cover with the second piece of parchment.Roll the two pieces of parchment together tightly, all the way around, to create a sealed package. Bake for 30 minutes. Be careful of the hot steam when you open the package.
- Once the squash and bananas are cool enough to handle, mash or blend them with the chickpeas. You may need to add a little water to thin the puree to the desired consistency. This puree can be frozen in ice cube trays or special containers for freezing baby foods.
Farm to High Chair Poached Chicken
Makes 2 1/2 cups | Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes
- 2 boneless, skinless organic chicken thighs
- 1 cup peeled and diced butternut squash
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 cups chopped rainbow chard stems removed
- 2 ripe pears, peeled, cored, and roughly chopped
You know the Farm to Table movement? Well, to me this recipe represents the baby version: Farm to HighChair. I used to make this exact recipe for Cam with ingredients that I’d picked up at our local farmers’ market. This extremely nutrient-rich puree is packed with protein and iron and uses the best of what Mother Nature has to offer.
- Put 1/2 cup water in a large sauté pan and bring to a gentle boil over medium heat. Turn it down until it is just simmering, then carefully add the chicken, squash, and thyme. Cover, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Place the chard on top, cover again, and simmer for an additional 7 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the warm chicken and vegetables to a blender, reserving the broth. Blend with the pears to your desired consistency. Add the reserved broth to thin the puree. This puree can be frozen in ice cube trays or special containers for freezing baby foods.
We make delicious, nutritionally-focused organic food for babies and young children! Our children deserve the best possible start in life and that begins with the food they eat.