“Liver Restore” Detox Smoothie Recipe
Beet Smoothie – “Liver Restore”
- 1 small beet (peeled and chopped)
- 1 medium organic granny smith apple (cored and seeds removed)
- 1 handful of fresh kale (chopped coarsely)
- ¼ cup fresh or frozen pineapple or mango
- 3 tbsp hemp hearts
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ½ x ½ inch of freshly chopped ginger (can use up to 1×1 inch)
- Add water to desired consistency
Blend above ingredients in a high efficiency blender (think Blendtec/Vitamix/Nutrabullet). If you do not have access to one, make sure you chop the ingredients into small pieces to ensure optimal blending.
Naturopathic tip: Beets have traditionally been used to protect and improve liver function. They also have been shown to improve circulation, lower blood pressure and with other lifestyle/diet modifications, can protect against cancer.
Dr. Crystal Chanderbhan is a Naturopathic Doctor servicing the Greater Toronto Area. She has always had an interest in health and promotion of well-being. She promotes education in all of her patients and helps them establish a plan on how to achieve optimal health. In her spare time, she enjoys living a healthy and active life style. She is an avid indoor rock climber, loves getting outside, and enjoys cooking healthy delights.