The Definitive Guide for How to Get Glowing Skin
The quest to get “glowing” skin has existed for decades…but what does it really mean? It’s certainly not achievable to have flawless skin, because that’s impossible without photo filters and makeup! So rather than aiming for flawless skin, focus on healthy skin, which naturally glows and radiates whether you wear makeup or not.
Try these tips to get your skin on the road to being healthy and glowy!
Tip #1: Improve Texture
The texture of your skin says a lot about your skin’s health, whether it’s overly dry, dehydrated, or sensitized. Help improve your skin’s texture by doing the following:
- Exfoliate: Use a scrub to polish the skin and an alpha hydroxy acid to improve overall tone. For example, lactic acid can be very anti-inflammatory, and helps diminish fine lines and mild scars. Try The Ordinary Lactic Acid 5% + Hyaluronic Acid 2%.
- Use a targeted serum: Dehydration is one of the main causes of rough, textured skin. Apply a hydrating serum, like Consonant’s HydrExtreme Serum, underneath your moisturizer on a daily basis to help boost the skin’s overall moisture level.
Tip #2: Strengthen Skin on a Cellular Level
Adding fatty acids and vitamins into your skincare routine can help to strengthen and heal damaged skin —and that’s why using natural, plant-based ingredients are so beneficial! Help combat dull and damaged skin by using these two strategies:
- Add fat: Just like for a good diet, fats are essential to keep skin healthy. When skin is healthy, it actually glows! To achieve this, apply a face oil rich in fatty acids after your moisturizer—this will nourish cells, as well as protect skin from moisture loss and environmental damage. Try Antipodes Divine Face Oil with Organic Avocado Oil & Rosehip for dry and damaged skin, or Salt by Hendrix Mermaid Oil for acne prone and combination skin.
- Use vitamin C: Antioxidant-rich vitamin C can help boost collagen production, brighten skin tone, and fade pigmentation. Apply DeVita Vitamin C Serum daily under your moisturizer to protect against environmental damage and cellular renewal.
Tip #3: Increase Circulation
Healthy skin needs to be nourished to thrive! Feed your skin the oxygen and nutrients it needs and combat a lackluster appearance by stimulating the circulatory system.
- Make time for facial massages: On a nightly basis, spend a few minutes massaging your face with an oil, using an up-and-out motion. Be careful around the eyes and don’t forget about the neck! You can try using Province Apothecary’s Daily Glow Facial Brush for an extra indulgent facial massage experience.
- Use stimulating ingredients: Mineral-rich clays can help promote circulation, which brings vital nutrients to the skin. Try using a clay mask with skin plumping ingredients like cinnamon 1-2 times per week—I love Graydon’s Brighten Up Mask.
When skin is fully nourished and hydrated, it naturally radiates! There’s no need to rely on photo filters to achieve your perfect skin—instead, focus on these healthy skin tips to get your skin glowing!
Seanna Cohen is a certified skin care therapist and founder of the Clean Beauty School, an online destination to learn skin care tips & tricks and get personalized advice. As a trusted skin care expert, she inspires others to take a holistic approach to beauty and find sustainable practices through her skin care coaching, webinars, and classes.