This Gingerbread Banana Bread Recipe Is a Must-Try
It’s that time of year again, so bring on the holiday baking! Our friends at Kurundu have shared their delicious Gingerbread Banana Bread recipe with us. Kurundu spices are Canadian, fair trade and certified organic. This Gingerbread Banana Bread is not only loaded with taste but it is also full of fiber and antioxidants. Our mouths are watering just thinking about the lovely combination of spicy gingerbread with sweet banana. Enjoy and let us know how it is!
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil or canola oil
- 6 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2 cups bran
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp Kurundu cinnamon
- 1 tbsp Kurundu ginger
- ½ tsp Kurundu nutmeg
- 1 tsp Kurnudu clove powder
- 1 cup finely chopped bittersweet chocolate
- ¾ cup finely chopped candied ginger
- Heat the oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a bundt pan with baking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, oil, bananas, brown sugar, honey, molasses and bran. Let sit 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile in another medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves.
- Once the banana-bran mixture has sat for 10 minutes, add the flour mixture to it and gently stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Gently fold in the chopped chocolate and chopped ginger. Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a tooth pick inserted at the centre comes out clean
- Let cool for 15 minutes in the pan before turning out onto a wire rack to completely.
Notes from Kurundu on how to make this treat healthier:
- Substitute vegetable oil or canola oil with olive oil.
- Use 1 cup all-purpose flour and 2 cups spring wheat flour.
- Find the real bitter sweet chocolate, not the kind you get in the grocery stores. You will taste the difference.