Often called “the glue that holds us together,” collagen is the most abundant protein in our bodies. It gives our bones, muscles, skin, and tendons strength and structure. As we age, our stores deplete, and fast: by age 40 collagen is depleted faster than it’s produced, and by age 60 over 50% of our stores are gone – causing wrinkles, joint pain, thinner hair and more brittle bones. Chances are you’ve heard of the bone broth craze, and what fans are after is the collagen. But there’s another, simpler way to get the benefits of collagen working from the inside out, and that’s from supplements. Here’s everything you need to know about collagen.
Types of Collagen
Choose your collagen based on your desired health benefit. Most supplements are made up of Types I, II and III. Types I and III are often found together in supplements because that’s how they’re found in you, and work together to promote healthy skin, hair, nails, bone, tendons, ligaments, and muscles. Type II is used to support joint, bone, and cartilage health.
The term “hydrolized” which you’ll see on most collagen supplements is really just the breaking down and extraction of collagen into smaller molecules which improve absorption and bioavailability.
Take your pick of either powder which can be mixed with your beverage of choice or easy capsules when you’re on the run. Remember, as well as the myriad of anti-aging benefits, you’re also getting a powerful punch of protein which contributes to your overall daily recommended intake.
Check labelling for things that matter to you about the source of your collagen whether chicken, beef, or fish. Like pesticide-free grass-fed, antibiotic and hormone-free, and sustainable.
Read the backs of reputable collagen supplements and you’ll notice they contain no added fillers or ingredients, but many contain added nutrients which are known to improve collagen’s efficacy. And some even support your body’s natural ability to produce it, like vitamin C, and other additives like sulfur and hyaluronic acid which have other benefits to joints and skin.
Top 10 Customer Faves
So let’s get to it, here are 10 of Well.ca customers’ favourite collagen supplements:
- Bulletproof Upgraded Collagen: From the makers of the famous Bulletproof Coffee, this granular collagen has no taste. It dissolves easily, so it can be mixed in water, juice, a smoothie, or even a cup of Bulletproof coffee.
- CanPrev Collagen Beauty Liquid: Liquid collagen is easy to add to your daily routine, and this Beauty Liquid from CanPrev is specially formulated to reduce wrinkles and fine lines. It consists of types I and III hydrolyzed collagen (bovine).
- Progressive Complete Collagen Unflavoured: Each scoop provides 10 grams of collagen, plus vitamin C (aids absorption) and L-Tryptophan (an essential amino acid that collagen doesn’t contain). This collagen truly is “complete”.
- Organika Enhanced Collagen Vitality: This supplement combines the benefits of collagen with matcha’s super high antioxidant profile. Together they work to restore elasticity and protect against aging.
- Great Lakes Gelatin Collagen Hydrolysate: This hydrolyzed collagen (bovine) has low molecular weight, so it’s easily absorbed with significant accumulation in the skin, cartilage and connective tissue. Great value too.
- Sproos Up Your Gut: These enhanced collagen beverage crystals combine 6 active ingredients (including grass-fed bovine collagen) that are specially designed to defend, soothe and heal the gut. It has a delicious apple ginger flavour too!
- Health Logics BioCell Collagen: This product contains a branded ingredient known as BioCell Collagen II®, made up of type II collagen known for joint, bone, and cartilage repair, Chondroitin Sulfate for the structure and function of connective tissue, and Hyaluronic Acid to lubricate joints and add suppleness, elasticity, and moisture to our skin.
- Pure Gold Collagen Liquid Collagen Beauty Supplement: These mini bottles of liquid collagen were designed specifically for women. They’re formulated with a unique blend of active ingredients that includes hydrolyzed collagen, hyaluronic acid, borage oil, and other vitamins and minerals.
- Benesse Health Pure Marine Collagen: This Canadian marine collagen is a great option for pescatarians and those who avoid bovine options. It contains only one ingredient: hydrolyzed marine collagen type I.
- Lorna Vanderhaeghe Active Collagen: From the producer of supplements specifically designed for women’s health, this one contains Collactive™, a proprietary mix of marine-sourced type I collagen, the same type that plumps up our skin, and elastin polypeptides which give it elasticity, in the same ratio that is naturally found in the skin. Each capsule contains Collactive™ and nothing else.