Beauty Buzzwords: Superfoods
Ever feel like there’s a new beauty ingredient you can’t stop seeing and hearing about? That all of the sudden, it’s in every product and all over your Instagram feed? This is what our Beauty Buzzwords series is all about – helping you learn more about these mysterious ingredients and why everyone is raving about them.
Next up is superfoods—no longer confined to the grocery store, these good-for-you ingredients are hitting the beauty aisle. Let’s break down some of the top skincare superfoods and find out why they could become game changers for your daily routine.
This bright, yellow spice related to ginger has curcumin as its main active ingredient, which has powerful anti-inflammatory effects and is a very strong antioxidant. Turmeric naturally soothes skin and has antibacterial properties, making it excellent for acne treatment. It can also help brighten skin and treat hyperpigmentation.
My Favourite Beauty Products with Turmeric:
- Province Apothecary Clear Skin Advance Spot Concentrate – This blemish treatment calms inflamed skin and helps blemishes heal quickly.
- Pura Botanicals Turmeric Night Cocoon – This night cream blends turmeric essential oil, vitamin E, pomegranate seed oil, coconut and sweet almond oil to promote healthy skin renewal and help minimize signs of aging.
Matcha is a powdered green tea packed with antioxidants, which can help reduce wrinkles and calm irritated skin. Matcha stimulates elastin production, creating plump and firm skin. It also protects against free radicals that cause sun damage, age spots and dry skin. Plus, it’s super gentle on sensitive skin and can help reduce redness or other conditions like eczema and rosacea.
My Favourite Beauty Products with Matcha:
- Honey Belle DIY Detox Mask Matcha Mint – Bentonite clay and matcha come together in this DIY mask to form a healing treatment suitable for all skin types.
- Graydon Matcha Mint Shampoo – Keep hair soft, moisturized and strong with this powerhouse combo of green tea and hemp
Everyone’s favourite toast topper is also great for keeping skin firm and glowy thanks to its high content of fatty acids like omega-3 and omega-6. Avocados are also rich in vitamin A, D, and E, making them great for moisturizing skin, especially during the dry, winter months.
My Favourite Beauty Products with Avocado:
- Province Apothecary Moisturizing Cleanser + Make Up Remover – This 2-in-1 cleanser and makeup remover has hydrating oils to remove make up and excess oil, restoring your skin’s natural radiance. Plus, it’s Canadian-made.
- Rocky Mountain Soap Co. Hand Butter – This moisturizing hand butter is full of soothing oils to keep your skin smooth all winter long.
Moringa, aka the ‘miracle tree,’ is a plant closely related to broccoli and kale that has been used in herbal medicine for hundreds of years. Often used in powder or oil form, moringa is packed full of vitamin A, E and fatty acids. When it comes to your skin, it helps to retain moisture, rehydrate dry areas, and can even reduce signs of aging.
My Favourite Beauty Products with Moringa:
- True Moringa Universal Cure Balm – This is the jar to have on hand as the weather gets colder as it’s the perfect remedy for dry and chapped skin. It goes on light and absorbs effortlessly, leaving skin nourished and glowing from the inside out.
- True Moringa Truth Lip Whip – Part lip gloss, part balm. This product moisturizes and adds the perfect hint of colour.
A tasty sea snack turned powerful anti-aging ingredient. Seaweed (algae) is bursting with antioxidants like vitamin B & C to brighten skin and minerals like omega, zinc & magnesium which can help protect and soothe inflammation. It’s also packed with amino acids that keep skin looking plump and youthful.
My Favourite Beauty Products with Seaweed:
- The Seaweed Bath Co. Ocean Fresh Whole Seaweed Detox Bath – This is ideal for those with dry skin. It’s especially designed to reduce redness and flaking.
- 100% Pure Mattifying Primer – A silicone-free primer infused with skin plumping seaweed collagen that makes cosmetic application flawless and longer lasting.
The reigning queen of superfoods, kale is full of vitamins A, B, C, and K, as well as antioxidants and phytonutrients. It’s also shown to tighten pores, decrease dark circles, and encourage collagen production.
My Favourite Beauty Products with Kale:
- Briogeo Kale And Apple Replenishing Superfood Conditioner – Treat your hair with this green juice-inspired conditioner. It’s formulated to visibly replenish dull and parched locks with a super-charged boost of vitamins and hair healthy ingredients.
- Pacifica Kale Detox Deep Cleansing Face Wash – Fortified with super green phytonutrients including kale, seaweed and blue seakale along with tropical beneficials of mangosteen and coconut water, this formula is designed to deeply cleanse and remove makeup, toxins and impurities from the skin both day and night.
Have you used any superfood ingredients in your skincare routine before? Let us know in the comments!