5 Ways to Use Spirulina, A Powerful Superfood
Spirulina is a powerful superfood that provides protein, minerals, vitamins and antioxidants! But it has a somewhat unpleasant taste, so it’s best when it’s mixed with other things. Here are Kaitlyn (our Vitamins & Health buyer)’s 5 favourite ways to use Spirulina.
Kaitlyn’s 5 Ways to Use Spirulina:
- Mermaid Toast: Upgrade your toast with a swirl of spirulina! Simply toast your favourite bread, add a sprinkle of spirulina on one side, and swirl it around with your knife. The swirling will create a cool, colourful affect. You can even add more colours with other superfood powders like beet root or blue majik, get creative!
- Detoxifying Superfood Face Mask: Give your skin a boost from the outside in with a detoxifying face mask. Watch this DIY Superfood Face Mask video tutorial for the easy recipe you can try at home.
- Super Green Smoothie: This is the easiest way to hide the seaweed-like taste of spirulina by far! Just blend a frozen banana with 1 tsp (or 1/2 tsp) Spirulina, 1 cup Almond Milk, 1 cup Spinach or Kale and 1 cup Pineapple chunks. It’s best to start out small with spirulina, since a little goes a long way!
- Spirulina Lemonade: This is a refreshing and detoxifying drink that is perfect for rehydrating. Just mix 3 cups Filtered Water with Lemon Juice (from 1/2 a lemon), 1-2 tsp Honey or Agave, fresh ginger slices and 1/8 to 1/4 tsp Spirulina (very little!).
- Lemon Spirulina Vinaigrette: Boost your favourite salad with this fun, colourful salad dressing. Mix equal parts Lemon Juice and Olive Oil, and then sprinkle in a PINCH of Spirulina and Salt & Pepper.