5 Essential Oils to Ease Summer Bug Bites
If you’re spending time by the lake or at a cottage this summer, there’s bound to be some insects buzzing around. And as the sun goes down and the fire glows, time with family and friends can be interrupted by bugs. Even if you’re religious about applying insect repellent, sometimes the sneaky little critters find a way to bite or sting you.
So we’ve put together a list of essential oils that will help ease a bite or sting:
- Lavender Oil: This oil is known for its soothing properties, but it may also help repel future bites and stings.
- Eucalyptus Oil: This one can sooth all sorts of minor skin issues such as shallow scrapes and cuts. It also has the benefit of helping avoid further bites with its repelling properties
- Tea Tree Oil: Tea tree oil is well known for its benefits as a spot treatment for acne and other skin issues. But it’s also an effective treatment for new bug bites. It has repelling properties, so a mixture of tea tree, eucalyptus and lavender in a carrier oil is a great go-to if you are especially bothered by summer bugs.
- Peppermint Oil: This oil is super soothing for bites and stings. Try to mix it with a neutrally scented carrier oil to preserve peppermint’s soothing properties.
- Rosemary Oil: For bugs and stings that are especially itchy, try rosemary oil in a carrier oil to sooth them.
These essential oils can help ease mosquito, chigger, or horsefly bites and bee stings. But the oil themselves can be irritating if applied at full strength, so make sure you first dilute them with a carrier such as jojoba, coconut or sweet almond oil. If you use more than one of these essential oils, dilute them separately before combining them into a soothing after-bite mixture. Apply your blend as soon as you notice a bite!
What are your favourite ways to use essential oils in the summer? Let us know in the comments below!